Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Connecting With Psychology...(connection)

Music psychology is not music therapy, and it is very important to distinguish the two.Music psychology is primarily an academic discipline, while music therapy is a profession.Music is one of the central elements in human condition, which basically means we relate to music that we can tell the artist has been through, and vice-versa. When the serious academic studies of music and human individuals are combined they form the new era, Musicology. The music psychologist investigate all aspects of musical behavior and experience by applying methods and knowledge from all aspects of psychology. To gather futher information on the subject they ask questions pertaining to everyday music comsumption,emotions toward certain type of music, structure (melody, bass, piano,etc),etc.Music psychology can shed light on non-psychological aspects of musicology and musical practice. For example, music psychology contributes to music theory by investigating the perception of musical structures such as melody, harmony, tonality, rhythm, meter, and form.Questions in music psychology are often difficult to answer. So instead they use research literature to careful quality control procedures. These generally take the form of anonymous expert peer review, which is a standard feature of all leading music-psychological societies, conferences, and journals. If you ever want to take a look at a few of the online Music-Psychology here a few site. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! I know when ever i want to write a song, it's always based on how i am feeling at that moment. I know I'm not the only one that feels the way I'm feeling when I'm writing it, so I know people will be able to relate and connect to what I am saying. Music can really help peoples moods, but at the same time it can destroy them too. I LOVE HOW MUSIC WORKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't write music, but I do often feel what the artist is feeling in the song. As Kyle said, this helps my mood. It's rare that a song detroys my mood though. Music is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete