Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Choice..Satire connection

In my English 11 class we discuss the different types of satire there are and how they are used. As we entered class, he distributed a satire report call, Our High Schools May Not Adequately Prepare Dropouts For Unemployment. Just from the title you could clearly see that it was a Horatia satire. Horatia is a satire that playfully criticizes some social vice through gentle, mild, and light-hearted humor. But on the other hand there is Juvenal satire, which the picture to the left illustrates. Juvenalian is out if a type of satire that is ore contemptuous and abrasive. It addresses social evil through scorn,outrage, and savage ridicule. For instance, some examples of the horatian satire are The Simpson's and the article that Mr. Myles present to use today. There is also a website called, The Onion, which plays off of real life situations by using satire to express their opinions in a humors way. You can also view an example if juvenalian satire by viewing the clip of a speech at
 the White House during a dinner. I hope you enjoy. But as I close this blog I leave you with a mini challenge; see if you can figure out what the images satire.Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorites regarding satire:
    http://www.borowitzreport.com/

    I'm a HUGE fan of Jon Stewart and Cobert!

    ReplyDelete